Place of Production: Venice, Italy
Description: In this panel Christ, depicted with a halo second from the left, walks with his hand raised and a staff in his left hand. One of his apostles follows him, while Mary and Martha are on the right of the panel, one kneeling in supplication. To the far right we see the swathed body of Lazarus in an ‘aedicula’, a shrine, topped with a domed roof known as a ‘cupola’. In the back of the panel the city of Bethany is presented. The style of the panel is Byzantine, but carved in Venice.
Held at: British Museum
Accession Number: 1856,0623.26
Images released under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license