Please be advised these podcasts contain language, which may cause offence, and descriptions of medical procedures and experiences, which some listeners may find upsetting.
1. What can history teach us about psychiatry?
2. How were mental problems identified and described in the past?
3. How have ideas about the causes of mental problems changed over time?
4. How have therapies for mental ailments changed over time?
5. Where were the mentally troubled looked after before there were public asylums?
6. How bad was Bedlam (Bethlem Hospital)?
7, How do we account for the rise and decline of asylums?
8. What were the origins of the psychiatric profession?
9. What was the relationship between psychiatry and the law?
10. How has psychiatry been portrayed in mass media?
11. How was suicide understood in the past?
12. Has the incidence of mental illness changed over time?
13, Reprise: the lessons of history