ROSS, ALEXANDER [SSNE 5447]

Surname
ROSS
First name
ALEXANDER

Text source

Alexander Ross was one of the eight Scottish merchants appointed to serve the Polish court on 4 October 1697 during the reign of King August 2. On 7 September 1703 he presented a petition on behalf of the other 7 merchants regarding the town councillors' destruction of their shops in the Warsaw market-place. The king ordered the councillors to hand over 8 walled vaults which had been built on the market site, which the Scots would pay for. However Ross soon handed over his trading privileges to William Oard on 27 September 1703, and a month later he took over the position of Postmaster from William Ross

A.F. Steuart, Papers Relating to the Scots in Poland 1576-1793, (Edinburgh, 1915), pp.25-26, p.27, pp.28-31; Warsaw Chief Archives, Liber Matr. Reg., vol. 219, f.139, f.352 and f.648.

Service record

POLAND-LITHUANIA, WARSAW
Departed 1703-09-27
Capacity ROYAL MERCHANT, purpose MERCANTILE AND ROYAL SERVICE
POLAND-LITHUNAIA, WARSAW
Capacity ROYAL SERVANT, purpose ROYAL SERVICE